Halloween is right around the corner, and ’tis the season for panicking about last minute costumes, visiting haunted houses and attempting to avoid overstocked candy aisles.
While I love candy corn-flavored everything and costume parties, I’m not a fan of the traditional holiday fear of creepy things. I’ve seen less than a dozen scary movies in my lifetime, each which were followed by weeks of nightmares. I haven’t stepped in a haunted house in years. I give cornfields a wide berth.
I do, however, believe embracing normal doses of healthy fear – around things like taking on a new challenge at work, trying out a new hobby, and public speaking – push me to be my best self.
I can deal with this kind of fear. I use it as fuel to see challenges through to the end and coming out stronger.
But hell, that’s never easy. Sometimes I need a little inspiration.
When I need a kick in the pants to do something scary, I read these:
1. “Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.”
2. “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
— Paulo Coelho,
3. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”
— Frank Herbert,
4. “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
— Nelson Mandela
5. “Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.”
— Marie Curie
6. “We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.”
— Marilyn Monroe
7. “Fear doesn’t shut you down; it wakes you up.”
— Veronica Roth,
8. “I think fearless is having fears but jumping anyway.”
— Taylor Swift
9. “Don’t be afraid of your fears. They’re not there to scare you. They’re there to let you know that something is worth it.”
— C. JoyBell C.
10. “He who has overcome his fears will truly be free.”
11. “Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that
something else is more important than fear.”
— Ambrose Redmoon
12. “Each of us must confront our own fears, must come face to face with them. How we handle our fears will determine where we go with the rest of our lives. To experience adventure or to be limited by the fear of it.”
— Judy Blume
13. “Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.”
— Jim Morrison
14. “Fears are nothing more than a state of mind.”
— Napoleon Hill
15. “Without fear there cannot be courage.”
— Christopher Paolini
16. “I say I am stronger than fear.”
— Malala Yousafzai
17. “When you do what you fear most, then you can do anything.”
— Stephen Richards
18. “Thinking will not overcome fear, but action will.”
— W. Clement Stone
19. “The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.”
— Joseph Campbell
And last, but not least, my favorite of the list as well as one of my personal mantras:
20. “Do one thing every day that scares you.”
— Eleanor Roosevelt
What quotes inspire you to face your fears?